Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
21st Century Civil Rights: Reception & Conversation
Tuesday, April 16, 2013 at 5:30 PM (PDT)
Los Angeles, CA
Advancement Project is designated by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) as tax-exempt as defined in section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code. Our EIN number is 95-4835230.
When & Where
We are a public policy change organization rooted in the civil rights movement. We engineer large-scale systems change to remedy inequality, expand opportunity and open paths to upward mobility. Our goal is that members of all communities have the safety, opportunity and health they need to thrive.
Our signature is reach and impact. With our strong ties to diverse communities, unlikely alliances, policy and legal expertise, and creative use of technology, we and our partners have won over $15 billion to extend opportunity. Whether it is to build 150 schools, transform the City of Los Angeles’ approach to its gang epidemic, or revolutionize the use of data in policymaking, Advancement Project evens the odds for communities striving to attain equal footing and equal treatment.
Because of Advancement Project's Work in California
• The L.A. Police Department transformed the way it dealt with gangs, from a counter-productive suppression strategy to community-based policing
• The City of L.A. adopted new strategies that decreased gang violence 13%; gang homicides dropped 50% in 24 parks and surrounding neighborhoods with the Summer Night Lights program
• Low-income Los Angeles public school students have 67,000 new classroom seats and California has renovated more than a million education spaces in high-need communities
• California passed one of the nation’s largest early education programs – expanding services to 120,000 four year olds
• A nation-leading mapping website connects families with critical resources and equips advocates and policymakers with compelling images of neighborhood needs throughout California